Ruida 6445G under the shell

Hardware settings, adjustments and fixes and other hardware discussion. This includes the "doHICky" Laser Power measurement system by Russ.
Tim Mellor
Nickname: beanflying
Laser Machine Make or Type: Vollerun WR3020
Laser Power: 40W
Laser Bed Size: 300x200
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: n/a
Windows Version: 10
Accessories: Modded and still Modding some more.

Call me interested and curious but before even putting power near it I thought it would be time to take my new controller and front panel apart for a look 8-) I have left the image sizes large for clarity so sorry for those with slow connections so if you right click and open in a new tab they will come up at full sized :)

The Front panel is fairly straightforward the ARM processor will be driving the display and doing the button encoding before sending data to and from the controller via a serial data bus of some sort. I didn't strip it down further as membrane switches are best left well alone when working but there is very little on the flip side of the board.
20200602_153821_resized.jpg
The main controller is run on two boards with one looking after the I/O to the outside world to the PC, SD card, and Ethernet and then via the Altera FPGA and TMS320 (Texas Instruments DSP) looks after the inputs and outputs from the steppers, Laser PS, switches etc. The underside of the board is mainly internal power supply and bypass capacitors for the top side. The rest of the I/C's are a mix of memory and interface controllers.
20200602_152846_resized.jpg
20200602_152634_resized.jpg
The upper side of the lower board isn't all that interesting but the left side as shown is the main DC-DC Switchmode power supply that will be dropping the 24V input to likely 5 or even 3.3V (haven't checked) to run the Controller and Front panel. The Underside is a series of reverse protection diodes and there is a bank of optocouplers to isolate the board from any nasty spikes getting to the main control IC's.
20200602_152512_resized.jpg
20200602_152445_resized.jpg
All in all well laid out and made with some very good components :)

If anyone has specific questions then fire away and I will do my best to answer them. When I get some clear bench I will put some power to it and add some stepper drivers and switches and look at the operation of it and what makes it start and stop and try and translate the 'is blowing' and other double Chinglish into what it is actually doing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gene Uselman
Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: QC
Laser Power: 130W
Laser Bed Size: 900x1300
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
LightBurn Version: Latest
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, PrusaMK4 and Mini Prusa printers.

Inquiring minds want/have to know?
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard- unfortunately deceased
Jerome Telovar
Laser Machine Make or Type: K40 laser and DIY CO2 in process
Laser Power: 40 and 100W
Laser Bed Size: 840 x 670 mm
RDWorks Version: v8.01.48
Ruida Controller: RDC6445
Windows Version: 10 and MAC
Accessories: Z probe, air assist, auto focus

Nice to see inside of our controller :-)
Quick question though: I wonder which kind of connector are used for the HMI cable. I'd like to make mine longer and was wondering if I could just do it myself?
Thanks
Tim Mellor

I think you will find it is a clone of one of these https://au.element14.com/jst-japan-sold ... dp/2749854 Big chunks of the JST catalogue have been copied and derived off in China. A quick check of the PDF on that link seems to confirm the dimensions against my cable. You should be able to take that part number and do a local search or source it from Farnell in the UK (Element 14) 'PSIP-05V-LE'

That said for a one off and for a personal machine I would be doing a cut and shut and just solder some wire in the middle and move on ;)
Jerome Telovar

Tim Mellor wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:06 pm I think you will find it is a clone of one of these https://au.element14.com/jst-japan-sold ... dp/2749854 Big chunks of the JST catalogue have been copied and derived off in China. A quick check of the PDF on that link seems to confirm the dimensions against my cable. You should be able to take that part number and do a local search or source it from Farnell in the UK (Element 14) 'PSIP-05V-LE'

That said for a one off and for a personal machine I would be doing a cut and shut and just solder some wire in the middle and move on ;)
Hi Tim,
I agree with you and that's what I thought first but I'm concerned if it's a shielded cable? I don't want any leaks interfering with the controller... On my first DIY CNC I had issues because I didn't pay attention to shielded wiring (due to my lack of knowledge I agree ;-) ). Do you think it's ok to extend the cable with standard wires?
Thanks for your help ;)
Tim Mellor

Compared to a CNC Router in particular where you have an Inverter driving the spindle Lasers are far quieter electrically. I haven't paired my cable back to see if it is shielded but looking at it and giving it a twist I suspect it isn't. If you run a thin knife carefully down the length you will soon know if there is a shield.

With your CNC you could consider some sleeving over the wire bundles and in particular separately shield and bundle your Spindle wiring. Something of this nature is what I am going to do to my Router when I get to rewiring it. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288896 ... 550f1LfEEr The former owner of mine was a 'house builder' so it leaves a little to be desired :roll:
Jerome Telovar

Tim Mellor wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:48 am Compared to a CNC Router in particular where you have an Inverter driving the spindle Lasers are far quieter electrically. I haven't paired my cable back to see if it is shielded but looking at it and giving it a twist I suspect it isn't. If you run a thin knife carefully down the length you will soon know if there is a shield.

With your CNC you could consider some sleeving over the wire bundles and in particular separately shield and bundle your Spindle wiring. Something of this nature is what I am going to do to my Router when I get to rewiring it. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288896 ... 550f1LfEEr The former owner of mine was a 'house builder' so it leaves a little to be desired :roll:
Well, on my CNC I bought properly shielded wire for all steppers, limit switches and spindle so I got no issues now :) I guess you wouldn't find my build as "pro" but it's working very well :-) the only weak point is the controller which is working thru parallel port thus require a win7 PC ! but I only allow this PC to run Mach3 so it's fine till it's not dead :)
Good to know the laser is less trouble, I did a specific box for electronic (kind of the same as Rob from furtherfab) but I want to make a separate one to put the Ruida interface, the ampmeter and few switches...
BTW your electric diagram on a360 is awesome ;-)
Thanks Tim
Dave Vigness
Nickname: Dave
Laser Machine Make or Type: Chine Red and Black
Laser Power: EF RF2 80W
Laser Bed Size: 20 x 26
Control Software: RDWORKS
RDWorks Version: 8.01.54
Windows Version: 7
Accessories: Power Switch for air assist / exhaust blower, Ma meter with switch for external digital, dual digital temp gauge, LED lights under gantry and and and.

Pics and a list here. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Jerome,

Don't know if it will help, but I have some pics of my controller mod when I switched from Top Wisdom to Ruida. That has to be version 10 or 15, and I have one more version to make but it's just transposing the built in analog mA meter and the posts for external access.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Jerome Telovar

Dave Vigness wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 pm Jerome,

Don't know if it will help, but I have some pics of my controller mod when I switched from Top Wisdom to Ruida. That has to be version 10 or 15, and I have one more version to make but it's just transposing the built in analog mA meter and the posts for external access.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Hi Dave, thanks for the pics :) For now I'll finish my build and see if that HMI cable is long enough for my needs... I've tried the connectors mentioned previously but there not the good one... so many references for this kind of plugs it's annoying :) maybe I'll end up cutting the cable and soldering extension as Tim said... I'll let you know guys, for now still waiting for some stupid delayed pulley in China...
Dave Vigness
Nickname: Dave
Laser Machine Make or Type: Chine Red and Black
Laser Power: EF RF2 80W
Laser Bed Size: 20 x 26
Control Software: RDWORKS
RDWorks Version: 8.01.54
Windows Version: 7
Accessories: Power Switch for air assist / exhaust blower, Ma meter with switch for external digital, dual digital temp gauge, LED lights under gantry and and and.

Pics and a list here. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I'm lucky I have a good electronics supply house not too far away.

I know Matt does a lot with Ruida, you might drop him a line and see if he can get you a designator of some sort for that connector. I've seen the same on on other equipment I used to service, but it was always part of an assembly so I can't help much.

Maybe hunt down a pin extractor and make your own extension, just heat shrink the connections in the middle. Pop the new ends into the original connector and you'd be good.

https://mwlaser.com.au/

Return to “General Hardware”