Smoothieware info for someone without a clue?

A place to discuss other software like PhotoGrav, A-Cad, Aspire, PhotoShop, Vextractor and Corel to name a few.
Tim Mellor
Nickname: beanflying
Laser Machine Make or Type: Vollerun WR3020
Laser Power: 40W
Laser Bed Size: 300x200
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: n/a
Windows Version: 10
Accessories: Modded and still Modding some more.

Just having a read through this post as I got a Smoothieboard delivered it today's post. Not sure if it will find it's way to my Laser to replace the Nano M2 or my baby 3020 CNC to replace the fairly horrid stock 8 bit board and drivers or to one of my 3D printers - CHOICES :mrgreen:

Reading post #1 if the WASER crew are running a 'custom' version of Smoothieware then I would expect that under the open source license agreement they should have had to publish their source code as part of that? If not why not?

Worth pursuing at least. If the code is available it would make the possible inclusion into software like Lightburn much more straight forward and may even be of benefit to WASER to buy a custom version to package with their hardware if their own software is lacking?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gene Uselman
Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: QC
Laser Power: 130W
Laser Bed Size: 900x1300
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
LightBurn Version: Latest
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, PrusaMK4 and Mini Prusa printers.

I have intervened between Wazer and the mighty OZ from Lightburn to my fullest ability. And as many of you probably have noticed... I can be annoying. I have a thin sheet of stainless being shipped to me and I really need to cut it on the Wazer so I guess I will have to finally deal with the mess that is their software.
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Tim Mellor
Nickname: beanflying
Laser Machine Make or Type: Vollerun WR3020
Laser Power: 40W
Laser Bed Size: 300x200
RDWorks Version: n/a
Windows Version: 10
Accessories: Modded and still Modding some more.

I wouldn't expect Lightburn to speak to it without some work either on reflashing different compatible firmware to the board or by having the board added to Lightburn.

Generally if the source software came from smoothie firmware or was derived or forked it 'should' carry the original license forward. https://github.com/Smoothieware/Smoothieware and down the bottom you will see it is offered under a GNU license.

The Bin file offered here is not open source and is done for both ease of user uploading but it also stops reading the contents and modifying it.
https://www.wazer.com/resources/downloads

The following is feelgood waffle and I see zero evidence of it elsewhere
GENERAL: Is WAZER open source?
Being makers and product designers we understand the drawbacks and benefits of both open and closed hardware systems. We intend on having WAZER’s electronics hardware be open for the numerous benefits it can bring to waterjet technology.
If you are able to confirm the firmware and hardware was derived from Smoothieware I would consider pushing them to release the source code.
Gene Uselman
Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: QC
Laser Power: 130W
Laser Bed Size: 900x1300
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
LightBurn Version: Latest
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, PrusaMK4 and Mini Prusa printers.

Thank you Tim- I had not seen that download page- I have not even plugged the machine in, and I am getting tired of waiting so I guess I will have to man up and figure some of this out.
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “Other Software”