Bryce Miller
Nickname: BquamB
Laser Machine Make or Type: Chinesium
Laser Power: 60W
Laser Bed Size: 600 x 400
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: V8.01.18
Windows Version: 10
Accessories: Rotary attachment and mesh bed.

Hello RD community and hope everyone is and has been doing well.

Life has been busy as of late, but have come up with some simple but practical designs for myself and friends.

The other week i found a place on Amazon Canada that had Coir or Coconut husk door mats. I have seen these done before from some type of laser but only have 1 shot so want to get as much of a ground before i decide to give it a shot. 25$ and shipping is a bit expensive for it to go horribly wrong. Ironically its 600x400 which is perfect for my machine :D

Has anyone tried this material before? Being a natural fiber, i expect to burn and go black, but really don't have the faintest of a clue as to how fast or slow and if i should do 1 pass or several. Lots to learn :D :D :D

Thanks for any and all help or suggestions.

Doug Fisher
Laser Machine Make or Type: Ke Hui KH-7050
Laser Power: 80W EFR F2
Laser Bed Size: 700x500
Home Position: TR
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: v8.01.18 & 8.01.33
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Accessories: Ruida RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, S&A CW5000 chiller, chuck type of rotary attachment, Russ' DoHickey (sp?), mA meter, a growing collection of tools and oddities to keep it running!

I have experimented with the ones from Home Depot. They look great at first but in my experience they "wear" very quickly. What you burn/char to create the black area of your graphic is very weak/stiff/brittle due to the burning so the black breaks off or wears very quickly when people use the mat.
Bryce Miller
Nickname: BquamB
Laser Machine Make or Type: Chinesium
Laser Power: 60W
Laser Bed Size: 600 x 400
RDWorks Version: V8.01.18
Accessories: Rotary attachment and mesh bed.

I knew that would be an inevitable, but i also want to see if you can engrave ontop of all the crud that would accumulate over time. Just slap it back in the machine, put it to 0/0 and hit start. I'd still have the file so why not.

In your experience, what type of settings did you find to work best with your machine?
Miroslav Ilisin
Nickname: mixersc
Laser Machine Make or Type: Chinese red and black 1060
Laser Power: 100W
Laser Bed Size: 100x60
RDWorks Version: v8

Hello, this is how i managed to do. I am satisfied. Live looks nicer. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Materials to Laser”