Laser Power: 130W
Laser Bed Size: 900x1300
Home Position: TR
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
LightBurn Version: Latest
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, PrusaMK4 and Mini Prusa printers.

Post by Dustin Hawkinson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:38 pm [EDIT FOR CONTEXT- GDU]

This method is potentially unsafe and I do not necessarily recommend using it, but here is the info. I was instructed by my vendor to use this method to check if my power supply was dead or not.

Needless to say I was reticent to try this. After a couple minutes of thinking it over, I decided that if I took some precautions I could conduct the test "fairly safely" and the largest risk would be frying the power supply. I wasn't too worried about that because the seller would probably replace it if they caused me to fry it (maybe), and the design of the PSU itself seems like it could handle this type of shorting. Here is the video I made of me replicating the test:

https://youtu.be/cHJE3sCUwiU

***DO NOT try this if you do not understand exactly what the situation is that you are causing and how to properly insulate yourself and anything else that could be damaged.
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Hans Lundberg
Nickname: Hasse
Laser Machine Make or Type: n/a
Laser Power: 50
Laser Bed Size: 16x30
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: 8.01.47
Windows Version: 10

Im concernd that the output current maybe will bee to high, especially on a healthy Power Supply.
i.e. you maybe burn your Power Supply as there is no load on the output and cause a shortage with very high current output (mA).

There is on some Power Supply a "Test" button, I dont know what the diffrent is, but maybe the output power is restricted.
I tried this yesterday and first I did not get a pulse, but after dissconnect the signal plug on the Power Supply I got a pulse.

Return to “Power Supplies”