Fusion 360 Discussion and Laser use

A place to discuss other software like PhotoGrav, A-Cad, Aspire, PhotoShop, Vextractor and Corel to name a few.
Philipp Pap
Laser Machine Make or Type: rdc6445
Laser Power: 55W
Laser Bed Size: 50x30cm
Home Position: TL
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: lightburn
Ruida Controller: RDC6445
Windows Version: 10

Hey guys, have you seen this?
https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusio ... sonal-use/
So very soon dxf and dwg export will not be possible anymore.
Only 10 active projects (but you can swap with archived ones), it it really too expansive for autodesk to add some drive space?
Gene Uselman
Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: QC
Laser Power: 130W
Laser Bed Size: 900x1300
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
LightBurn Version: Latest
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, PrusaMK4 and Mini Prusa printers.

I am not surprised I guess. I am sure that everything adds up and we live in a 'make money' world. If they get a lot of flak maybe they will offer a low cost storage plan. I wonder how may of us geeks there are on the zero pay plan?

The days of people doing things for nothing are over I am afraid- everyone has to protect themselves from the stockholders. Not saying it is a better system but it is the system we have I fear.
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard
sebastien laforet
Laser Machine Make or Type: bodor BCL0605MU
Laser Power: 100W
Laser Bed Size: 60*50cm
RDWorks Version: 8.01.19
Windows Version: 7

classic strategy for software products : distribute them free and once the users are acquired, start restricting and make them pay.

i remember when sketchup was free, and it is now a costly bloatware, and the web version is so restricted it is useless.

that's why i tend to stick to open-source. inkscape, librecad, blender. but there is no parametric 3D modeling today, except maybe freecad but i can't use it as the UI is so botched (not to speak about the documentation). i'd like to be able to use blender for real 3D "CAD" modeling (using exact dimensions and constraints)
Sébastien Laforet
machine : Bodor BCL-0605 (60x50) with 100W laser with TR origin.
Live in France
Primarily works laser for my wife (school teacher, so lots of boxes, letters, puzzles, ...) and miniature scenery (32mm scale : warmachine, infinity)
Doug Fisher
Laser Machine Make or Type: Ke Hui KH-7050
Laser Power: 80W EFR F2
Laser Bed Size: 700x500
RDWorks Version: v8.01.18 & 8.01.33
Accessories: Ruida RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, S&A CW5000 chiller, chuck type of rotary attachment, Russ' DoHickey (sp?), mA meter, a growing collection of tools and oddities to keep it running!

>>classic strategy for software products<<

Yes, software and drug dealers! Get you addicted and then start turning the screws. I am actually quite surprised it has stayed "free" this long.
Gene Uselman
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, PrusaMK4 and Mini Prusa printers.

Here is a thoughtful discussion of the new limitations and the alternatives... by the venerable Angus. As he would eloquently say- Let's get staaated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlnEThQ4HR8

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Philipp Pap
Laser Machine Make or Type: rdc6445
Laser Power: 55W
Laser Bed Size: 50x30cm
RDWorks Version: lightburn
Ruida Controller: RDC6445

Well, I just deleted my autodesk account.
Had not a single design, as I am more of a solidworks guy, but I can use solidworks only now and then, when a friend of mine borrows me his laptop or I am at his place.
Gene Uselman

What you use the software for and how much will be a good indicator of it's worth to you. Twenty-five years ago I was a graphics neophyte but was comfortable with computers. I interviewed with a franchiser and learned enough about the business [Signmaking] to see the potential in it and to realize that it was a good combination of my interests, computers, machines, art and actually creating something with my hands. There were also downsides, like dealing with a lot more customers than I was accustomed to in my previous occupation of restoring Corvettes and other 'fancy' cars- but I was used to providing customers with quality work and explaining to them exactly what they could expect from my work... and delivering it. Anyway I hooked up with a very reputable sign supplier and bought a lot of equipment and software on his recommendations rather than the franchise, the Sign software was $5000 [25 years ago it was a lot of money] and it paid for itself many times over and over in the years since. I get enough use and enjoyment from Fusion 360 to justify the $360 a year so it is an easy decision for me. I have always marveled that they stored my hundreds of designs for easy recall as long as I want them. I do not make any money with the program but use it for planning and fabricating tools and fixtures and many other useful items. Your mileage will vary of course.

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Larry Gonshak
Nickname: HalfNormal
Laser Machine Make or Type: Tek Genius
Laser Power: 60
Laser Bed Size: 20 x 28
RDWorks Version: V8

Fusion 360 Total Exporter
Need to export all of your fusion data in a bunch of formats? We’ve got you covered. This will export your designs across all hubs, projects, files, and components. It exports them in STL, STEP, and IGES format. It also exports the sketches as DXF files. In addition to those, an f3d/f3z file will be exported for each component/assembly file in all of your projects, across all hubs. It doesn’t ask what you want written out, it just writes out the latest version of everything, to the folder of your choice.

https://github.com/Jnesselr/fusion-360-total-exporter
Gene Uselman

Thank you to you and your cohorts. It is always encouraging to see people who go beyond the necessary into the realm of what is possible. Some days it seems like the human race may yet survive. :twisted:

Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “Other Software”