Laser Power: 130W
Laser Bed Size: 900x1300
Home Position: TR
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
LightBurn Version: Latest
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, PrusaMK4 and Mini Prusa printers.

2. Case Mods/issues

2.05 Case leveling- I borrowed a Master Starrett level commonly used by machinists and where a common 4 foot level is kinda crude, the Starrett is overkill but works well. I also made a simple jig to enable attaching the level to the Y rails- the cabinet is very stiff but as I was having beam alignment issues, I wanted to be sure the two rails were on the same plane. This is $1K new and each graduation is .0005 in 12 inches- overkill but I am struggling with what Russ has named Fourth Corner disease and wanted the two rails measured accurately.

1318-2_Level.jpg
2.1 Bed leveling adjustments- side to side [power interrupt one stepper driver , front to back

2.15 Front corner bed leveling- unscrewed the brkt between the bed and the 'Nut' on the Acme screw and lowered it approx 1 inch- two existing bolt holes drilled thru the bed tubing and two 1/4 inch screws threaded into the brkt [or drilled out with a nut on top and one on the bottom] to act as guides [ I actually found smooth bolts threaded on the ends. This could be made by threading a steel rod on one end], I drilled a hole between the existing holes for an adjusting bolt with a nut on the bottom of the bed- screw it in and the bed raises or lowers. I did this on both front corners for front to back leveling.

1318-2_frt corner adj.jpg
2.2 Reaching the back of the bed for positioning and focusing- 12" long focus gauge, 'Grabber' tool, &c

2.3 Door is too heavy to close easily- counterbalance with pulley/rope weights
fabricate one from alum extrusions, maybe folding in half or maybe two doors L & R
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard- unfortunately deceased
Rodney Edington
Nickname: Rodney
Laser Machine Make or Type: K 40 Building a 22"X 38"
Laser Power: 60 watt
Laser Bed Size: 22"X38"
Home Position: TL
Control Software: RDWORKS
RDWorks Version: NA
Ruida Controller: RDC6445
Windows Version: 7

Gene Uselman wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:56 am 2. Case Mods/issues

2.05 Case leveling- I borrowed a Master Starrett level commonly used by machinists and where a common 4 foot level is kinda crude, the Starrett is overkill but works well. I also made a simple jig to enable attaching the level to the Y rails- the cabinet is very stiff but as I was having beam alignment issues, I wanted to be sure the two rails were on the same plane.

I moved my K40 a few times and never had to adjust the mirrors after moving. BTW the K40 has a very flimsily case.
I used my 12" Starrett level and leveled the machine and it worked every time. I believe that if you keep the X and Y axis level, the mirrors will never need adjusted. But if you don't have access to one, they are expensive to buy just to have around for the laser.

Rodney

Here is my build
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=5526&start=20

Return to “Large Format Cabinet Lasers”