Fusion 360 Discussion and Laser use

A place to discuss other software like PhotoGrav, A-Cad, Aspire, PhotoShop, Vextractor and Corel to name a few.
Tim Mellor
Nickname: beanflying
Laser Machine Make or Type: Vollerun WR3020
Laser Power: 40W
Laser Bed Size: 300x200
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: n/a
Windows Version: 10
Accessories: Modded and still Modding some more.

This one is the latest of my woodworking tool series of designs.

Mainly put here to show the thought process and method I use to make stacked complex shapes. This post has taken me nearly as long as the model took to make ;)

Step one draw ther basic profile you want to make. In this case a simple multi point spline.

Decide on the width of the slices you want to use and create a pattern of parallel lines (draw once then tell it how many you want)

Draw intersecting lines between those stack lines to approximate the widest points on the splined curve.

fusion sketch 1.jpg

Draw a second sketch showing the vertical alignment pins.

fusion sketch 2.jpg

Select all of the rectangular segments on the first sketch and revolve them around the vertical axis. You will notice this creates a single block of material.

fusion parts 1.jpg

Step two is to use the split body command and the segment lines to convert each of them into plain discs.

fusion parts split.jpg

Next step is to cut the alignment holes and center hole using the second sketch. Then use that same sketch to create the wooden pins.

fusion parts 2.jpg

Last step is just for looks but using the second sketch extrude the metal pin to the top of the hole and then forward to make the 100mm x 4mm blank then add a bevel cut to it for the point.

fusion parts 3.jpg

There is some steps I have left out like changing the material appearance and exporting the DXF's but they don't change the basic model creation.

Result 11 Basic steps to create 29 interlocking parts. To sand smooth or embrace the stack will be the next question :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Mellor

Not directly a Laser project but it could easily be split into thinner panels and glued up. More here as a why to use CAD instead of take a guess or sketch, cut and test. The theory is you will more likely get it closer to right without picking up a tool or using material.

This panel lifter is to save my back from bad lifting as I tend to move sheets by myself. Reasons to cad it up is to get an idea of scale, check hand and part clearances. Looking at the dimensions my upper hand holding the top of the panel will cross my body about chin high which should provide support without to much twisting or strain. Making it wider it may be ok for Acrylic sheets but you would need to consider the shelf at nearly 1m+ wide and for low wind only ;)

The reason to go with a pivoting shelf is in part to avoid a sharp corner and stress riser while keeping it as flat in profile as possible. Net benefit will be a flatter device when not in use.

Going to make a few of these for Christmas presents for some tradies I know.

Fusion file is in the Zip file below if you want to tweak it for possible Laser cutting or modify it for imperial measurements if you live in Liberia or Burma or :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Mellor

Todays problem in search of a solution still? Mating my new Tracksaw track (off the backside) with the plunge base on my little Makita trim router. All the layout bits in place to work from now time for a thinking Beer and some thoughts on Metal, 3D printing or Laser cut bits to join the two up with some adjustment for cut width/dado's without moving the track.

3D printing seems like the sensible solution but first to the fridge :D

Edit Two Beers Later 15mm travel and a stop block 3D printing seemed the logical choice .....
Tim Mellor

As part of upping my woodworking tool collection I added a Bobbin sander to the toys, partly for finishing off Templates and Laser Cut edges as well as general use.

Triton thought of on board holders for ALMOST everything but forgot about the spindle tension washers which will almost certainly get lost over time :roll: There are six different dust plates and one will almost always be fitted in the sander so it leaves a slot free to make a 100mm diameter disc to hold the washers. So out with Fusion 360 and roll up a model to 3D print. This could have also been Laser Cut as shown in acrylic or 3mm Ply with the front face where the large washer sits would need a heavy engrave or sanding as it is a touch over 3mm thick.

With the model I made for 3D printing it took me under 10 minutes to create the Laser version using the same basic sketch as shown so 3D print or Laser use the process that suits best. Currently making the 3D printed one and I might make an Acrylic one next time I have some on the Laser.
Gene Uselman
Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: QC
Laser Power: 130W
Laser Bed Size: 900x1300
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
LightBurn Version: Latest
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, PrusaMK4 and Mini Prusa printers.

Elegant. I am mostly thru the 'learn Fusion 360 in 30 days' videos and have picked up some good tips and better understand why some features work the way they do. I am limiting myself to 10 vids a day so it lasts longer :) . I reassembled my Prusa printer yesterday, but I had forgotten the power cord- found a computer repair shop [hippie with a ponytail] on the next Key and bought one for $5.
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Jeffrey Aley
Laser Machine Make or Type: Kehui
Laser Power: 50W
Laser Bed Size: 500mmx300mm
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: 8.01.24
Windows Version: Win10 Enterprise
Accessories: Spray bottle with water (for small fires)
Fire extinguisher (for big fires)

Gene Uselman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:12 am found a computer repair shop [hippie with a ponytail] on the next Key and bought one for $5.
Hippie? Ponytail? Key? Sounds like you're not in Minnesota anymore.
Gene Uselman
Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: QC
Laser Power: 130W
Laser Bed Size: 900x1300
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
LightBurn Version: Latest
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, PrusaMK4 and Mini Prusa printers.

I am an aging Hippie ya know, right? Grew up in the '60s [1960s] and survived a lot of nonsense, had a good time and made it out the other end. So far, so good.
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Tim Mellor

Nothing wrong with being a Hippie. I dropped out of the corporate BS life at 33 to fly kites and play with toys in bare feet for the next decade or so :D

Concept to Reality. Wonder if Triton would swap me one of their big routers for my design :mrgreen:

EDIT: I had a few other MDF templates to cut and some spare material on one of the blanks so I cut one out for fun. No I didn't square the small washer holder up either :o
Tim Mellor

Just revisiting Laser based DXF output options for Fusion 360.

Unlike the Mapboards ($10 paid) addon I have been using for a while now which has been updated several times over the last 6 months this one is FREE. https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Det ... n&os=Win64

As per below it does allow you to add a kerf prior to exporting BUT unlike Mapboards it only allows you export a single face at a time. :( So using the simple example below I couldn't add the centers of the Text as they are another face.

Take this for what it is as simple and FREE and hope the developer improves it over time. I have added a paragraph into post #1 here with a link to it. Personally the few $ for Mapboards is well worth it by comparison.
Tim Mellor

Playing with Paths and Lofts as part of an idea I am looking at. Yes it is a Laser idea ;)

Take in a stock Nema 17 motor in this case and make a stub transition using a sketch and the Loft command. From that Stub draw in 3D space whatever series of paths required to run the multicore wire along and at the other end make another stub to transition to the Stepper driver in this case.

That Stepper and wire stub forms a component that can be inserted or copied into a larger assembly. If you want to have a look at the 3D model then click here https://a360.co/3c0vm2w

Return to “Other Software”