Smoothieware info for someone without a clue?

A place to discuss other software like PhotoGrav, A-Cad, Aspire, PhotoShop, Vextractor and Corel to name a few.
Gene Uselman
Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: QC
Laser Power: 130W
Laser Bed Size: 900x1300
Home Position: TR
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
LightBurn Version: Latest
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, PrusaMK4 and Mini Prusa printers.

I bought and received a Wazer desktop waterjet cutter and the machine looks very well built [this was a Kickstarter project]. It has online software which is very sad however. I have been in contact with their support staff and they say 'we are hardware guys, not software'. I suggested developing a post processor for Aspire or Fusion 360 but I have not idea if anything is happening. I did find this on line but cannot follow it anywhere:
The Wazer waterjet is controlled by a custom controller designed to run a custom flavor of the open-source Smoothieware firmware. The controller has the drivers built-in to run stepper motors, as well as all the digital inputs and outputs to run the machine.
It comes with a cut file to cut a sample WAZER emblem from .125 aluminum, so I have some g-code for a sample, is it possible to reverse engineer the g-code by any chance. I have suffered with RDworks for years and am slowly getting ready to switch to Lightblade, the latest problem is the Material Library only accepts metric and I already have a RDw library in decimal imperial measurements.

It's always somethin'- :twisted: , I am too old to be learning to skirt around more bad software...
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Pete Cyr
Laser Machine Make or Type: Boss 1630
Laser Power: 100w
Laser Bed Size: 16"x30"
Control Software: RDWORKS
RDWorks Version: v8.01.18
Windows Version: Win 10
Accessories: roller rotary attachment

Pretty neat - I can think of lots of stuff I would have preferred to cut using one of those vice a torch or saw
Location - VA
Equipment - Boss Laser 1630
Power - 100W
Laser Bed Size - 16" x 30"
Home Position - TR
Full RDWorks Version - v8.01.18
First name - Pete
Doug Fisher
Laser Machine Make or Type: Ke Hui KH-7050
Laser Power: 80W EFR F2
Laser Bed Size: 700x500
RDWorks Version: v8.01.18 & 8.01.33
Windows Version: 10
Accessories: Ruida RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, S&A CW5000 chiller, chuck type of rotary attachment, Russ' DoHickey (sp?), mA meter, a growing collection of tools and oddities to keep it running!

Very cool. Let us know how it works for you. No doubt there are many here who considered buying one of those way back when they were first announced.

You ought to contact Oz at Lightburn to see if Lightburn could work. From the Lightburn website:
"We currently support most Ruida, Trocen, and GCode based controllers. Supported GCode controllers,include Grbl, Smoothieware, Grbl-LPC, and Marlin."
Bill Northup
Nickname: WildBill
Laser Machine Make or Type: x700 Red - Black Clone
Laser Power: 80
Laser Bed Size: 20x28
RDWorks Version: V8.01.26
Windows Version: 7
Accessories: 2" & 1 1/2" lens, home build roller rotary, mA meter, solenoid controlled air assist and exhust fan, dohicky & Mahoney power meters.

A couple of things - I assume that you meant Lightburn - not Lightblade. I use Lightburn a lot and the input's for the material libraries match the units you choose in setup. I can change to inches/sec and all the speeds in my libraries match. I actually go back and forth all the time.

For smoothie I use a smoothie controller (C3D) on my ACRO/diode laser system and on my K40 machine. The interface from Lightburn is the same as my other controllers, set speed and %power. By looking at the sample G-code you should be able to see what speed and power they are using. For smoothie it self I have found very little useful documentation, most of what I have learned is from reading all the details in the config file. Everything seems to be set up at boot time using the included config file - or last used config if no SD Card/memory is available.
Gene Uselman
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, PrusaMK4 and Mini Prusa printers.

Yes, lightburn...that's it. That is an interesting thought, I am at an inlaw's river place for a couple days, I will give this some noodlin'. Thanks.

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Larry Gonshak
Nickname: HalfNormal
Laser Machine Make or Type: Tek Genius
Laser Power: 60
Laser Bed Size: 20 x 28
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: V8

If the unit runs on G-Code, you have a lot of options but the biggest question is what will connect to the Wazer control board.

I would talk to Ray at https://cohesion3d.com/ He can also be found on https://forum.makerforums.info/ and https://forum.lightburnsoftware.com/

He has designed and programmed smoothie boards for lasers and 3D printers. I am sure he might be able to help you out.

If you want to talk to the man who designed the smoothie board, Arthur Wolf, you can head over to https://forum.makerforums.info/ and ask for his help.
Gene Uselman

Thank you Larry- I signed up to MF and will spend some time perusing it when I have a faster internet connection- looks like my kinda fun, Gene

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Larry Gonshak
Nickname: HalfNormal
Laser Machine Make or Type: Tek Genius
Laser Power: 60
Laser Bed Size: 20 x 28
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: V8

Glad I was able to help. Please keep us posted on your journey!
Lightburn Admin
Nickname: LBAdmin
Laser Machine Make or Type: Kehui 700x500 (Ruida controller)
Laser Power: 100w
Laser Bed Size: 700 x 500mm
RDWorks Version: 8.0.18

Gene Uselman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:15 pm the Material Library only accepts metric and I already have a RDw library in decimal imperial measurements.
The 0.9.04 release of LightBurn now supports Inch and Metric measures - it uses whatever your system units are set to.
Gene Uselman

Thank you Sir. I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it is to have a voice in programs which you use every day, and how uncommon it is. Gene

Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “Other Software”