Tim Mellor
Nickname: beanflying
Laser Machine Make or Type: Vollerun WR3020
Laser Power: 40W
Laser Bed Size: 300x200
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: n/a
Windows Version: 10
Accessories: Modded and still Modding some more.

Just a place to discuss where to get Laser suitable Ply and Veneers and how you use it and for what jobs. So add your local sources from elsewhere in the world to make others lives easier.

I started looking for Australian sources that will ship and came across https://plyco.com.au/pages/laser-cut-plywood-collection who sell 1200x600 sheets (4' x 2' or 1/4 sheets) and in a wide variety of materials and thicknesses.

Dropped them an inquiry for a sample pack and got this stack of usable bits in the mail a few days later :) After having a good look at them and the current project I have in mind plus some for the material stash order placed for 9 1/4 sheets. $30AUD for freight to me so cost per sheet is not to bad.

Big range of densities depending on if the material is soft or hardwood. The Poplar is very light and will suit my R/C addiction issues but in the case of the project below I will be going with Eucalyptus and then Beeswax and Oil for a finish.
20190808_121523_resized.jpg
Current Project is a new Media PC for me and to maybe sell a flat pack case kit. Fusion 360 Cad assembly drawing still a WIP. Mini ITX Radeon 5 2400G and 250W FSP power supply for the nerds among us.
MITX v7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Strassburg
Laser Machine Make or Type: Laguna PL12/20
Laser Power: 40w
Laser Bed Size: 12" x 20"
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: 8.01.26
Windows Version: Windows 10

Thanks for the info.

I've been wanting to build a PC case. I have all the parts to put into it, just not the case. It won't be ITX, but I have a HTPC. I will get to it, eventually, when all the other projects get done in the next year or three. Mine it a Ryzen 5 1600, MSI B350 MB, and 16 gigs ram. With a MSI GTX 760 OC and a EVGA 550 bronze power supply. All sitting in a box, ready for a case.
Tim Mellor

Just finished putting together a new 4K video / CAD box too. Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB, B450, RX580 and a two NVMe drives for 1.5TB. A bit OTT but plenty of future proofing apart from maybe a new GPU at some stage. I went with a commercial case for this beastie (Coolermaster H500). Before this the last PC I built from scratch was back in the days of XP and AMD's last time in front with an Athlon 2400 ;)
Clipboard01.jpg
Now resuming the topic again :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeffrey Aley
Laser Machine Make or Type: Kehui
Laser Power: 50W
Laser Bed Size: 500mmx300mm
RDWorks Version: 8.01.24
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Windows Version: Win10 Enterprise
Accessories: Spray bottle with water (for small fires)
Fire extinguisher (for big fires)

Have you confirmed whether or not the plywood is laser-able? (I note in the photo that one of the panels is labelled "laserply" :-)

In my experience in the USA, I have found that Revell's thin plywoods laser well. On the other hand, the unbranded thin plywood from Hobby Lobby does not. There are hidden (interior) areas of different densities or glues that stop the cut. So I end up with a partially-cut project - which is very disappointing!
Tim Mellor

Had a good talk to a human on the phone prior to placing an online order and definately made for Laser use.
Laserply is named as such due to its ideal qualities for use in laser cutting, as well as etching and engraving. To properly and accurately laser cut you need a product with suitable glue, as the wrong glue will burn or not cut at all.

The absence of core gaps is required for laser cutting too, as having core gaps present can leave air bubbles and will lead to the wood cracking when cut, while it’s also necessary to have a product of suitable density. Our Laser Plywood range covers all these bases.
Should have the bigger slabs early next week but I will try and find some time to play with the samples over the weekend. 1mm Bamboo or Jarrah business cards :ugeek:
Jeffrey Aley

Tim Mellor wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:50 pm Had a good talk to a human on the phone ...
I'm having trouble understanding this phrase. ;-)
Tim Mellor

Jeffrey Aley wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:45 pm
Tim Mellor wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:50 pm Had a good talk to a human on the phone ...
I'm having trouble understanding this phrase. ;-)
Even better the phone was answered within two rings by a competent 'human' receptionist. All hope is not lost just most of it .....
Jeffrey Aley

Tim Mellor wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:42 pm
Even better the phone was answered within two rings by a competent 'human' receptionist.
Aha! I KNEW you were just kidding!
Tim Mellor

So the humans needed a flogging it seems :evil: After not getting my delivery in a week I dropped them an email - oh yeah sorry we will ship your order today

Sometime later my little bundle arrived, the nine sheets with a 3mm MDF sheet either side then wrapped in bubble wrap for shipping. About $20USD for shipping and packaging (MDF included in the $20) this way is good albiet slow delivery.

More to come now I have the sheets to play with. Also some close up shots of the layers.
Tim Mellor

The Laserply referred to above by me is going well. Sort of related I got some screw in fasteners today for a Ply project I am working on is more the reason for the post. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288776 ... 4c4dZ5uDpB Really easy to use in your next timber project.

The quick sample squares are 5, 5.2, 5.4, 5.6 and 5.8mm holes and run at 16, 18 and 20mm/s @ 60% on my 40W Laser (will be close to max power). The 20 was just getting caught in spots put still clicked out, 18 was clean and minimal smoke visible on the surfaces. Just so much better than stock ply. The other is a quick mock up panel I will later get cut from Aluminium on a big boy Laser or Plasma by others.

Return to “Materials to Laser”